Overall: 13.8 x 9.3 x 8.7 cm (5 7/16 x 3 11/16 x 3 7/16 in.)
Leonard C. Hanna, Jr. Fund 1964.360
This figure is one of only two known surviving fragments of the Reliquary Châsse of Saint-Germain. Fashioned from silver, gold, and precious stones, it was designed to hold the body of the saint. A contract from 1409 gives the names of the commissioned goldsmiths: Jean de Clichy, Gautier du Four, and Guillaume Boey.The reliquary was housed in the ancient Benedictine Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés in Paris and formed the monastery’s great treasure until it was destroyed in the French revolution. The exquisite modeling of the prophet, originally a supporting foot of the reliquary, reveals the sophistication of Paris around 1400.
The information about this object, including provenance information, is based on historic information and may not be currently accurate or complete. Research on objects is an ongoing process, but the information about this object may not reflect the most current information available to CMA. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
Is something not working on this page? Please email email@example.com.
Request a digital file from Image Services that is not available through CC0, a detail image, or any image with a color bar.