About School Tours
Please note that all school groups (including self-guided groups) must register using the online form.
- The museum offers free docent-guided class visits to the permanent collection and select special exhibitions.
- Free tours are conducted by volunteer docents trained by the Department of Public and Academic Engagement. Available tour topics can be found here: Kindergarten through Grade 3; Grade 4 through Grade 12. Standards listed under each topic represent possible curriculum connections.
- We strive to provide strong connections to your classroom curriculum. Please note that you may not be able visit the works of art you’ve used in your classroom; docents will try to incorporate requested works or similar ones on the guided tour. You are welcome to book a self-guided tour following your docent-led tour to visit these works on your own.
- Customized tours led by staff members can be booked for an additional fee pending scheduling availability.
- Kindergarten tours are 45 minutes long. First grade through adult tours are 60 minutes long.
- An adult chaperone for every 10 students must accompany each group.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and must be booked online. This also applies to self-guided tours.
- Tours are scheduled Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Self-guided groups are welcome to schedule tours in the permanent collection galleries beginning at 11:00 a.m. and ARTLENS Gallery beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- With advance notice, self-guided groups are permitted to complete scavenger hunts or worksheets. Only pencils, not pens, may be used in the galleries.
- Backpacks and radios are not permitted in the galleries.
- Homeschool groups: Please select from the following grade level groupings and indicate your selection on your registration form (elementary, K−3; middle grades, 4−8; or high school, 9−12.) Our school tour formats can accommodate a maximum range of three to four grade levels at a time.
- Homeschool groups: The maximum number of individuals in one group is 20, including adults and children. Larger groups should book multiple tour slots.
- Please note that lunch spaces at the museum are extremely limited. You must indicate a need for lunch space when completing your online registration form. These few areas are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Assigned lunch timeslots are 30 minutes and available between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Because multiple schools use our lunch commons, please allow 25 minutes maximum to enjoy your lunch and to depart on time.
- Please allow at least four weeks advance notice when scheduling your preferred date through the online registration form. For more information, call Ebony Taylor at 216-707-2665.