A

Project Milestones

1999
Facilities Master Plan identifies current and future needs

2001
Rafael Viñoly named architect

March 2005
Board of Trustees votes to proceed with first phase of project

Spring 2005
Permanent collection galleries de-installed

Summer 2005
Portion of museum staff moves to downtown Cleveland

October 2005
Ground broken for east wing

January 2006
Museum closes for renovation for six months while programs continue in venues around Cleveland

July 2006
Renovated Marcel Breuer-designed education wing begins reopening

October 2006
Exhibitions resume with Barcelona and Modernity

June 2007
New central utility plant substantially complete

October 2007
Expanded parking garage opens

January 2008
1916 building ready for art installation

Spring 2008
East wing ready for art installation

June 2008
Public opening of 1916 building main floor

Summer-Fall 2008
Abatement and demolition for west wing and atrium construction

Fall 2008
The Kelvin and Eleanor Smith Foundation Special Exhibition Hall in the new east wing opens with Artistic Luxury: Fabergé, Tiffany, Lalique  

June 27, 2009
Upper level of east wing opens 

February 28, 2010
Gartner Auditorium reopens

June 26, 2010
Lower-level 1916 building galleries open 

October 28, 2012 
The Ames Family Atrium, Museum Store, Provenance and Provenance Café open

December 12, 2012 
The museum's new focus space in Gallery One opens

December 26, 2012 
Lower level 1916 galleries featuring late medieval, Renaissance, and Islamic art open.

January 21, 2013 
Public opening for Gallery One, a 12,000-square-foot interactive learning center.

June 22, 2013
North wing galleries open

December 2013 
West wing galleries open