• Reliquary Bust of Saint Baudime (detail), mid-1100s. French (Auvergne). Copper gilt over walnut core, ivory, and horn; 73 x 43 x 46 cm. Mairie de Saint-Nectaire, France MH 1897/0127. © Francis DEBAISIEUX, France
  • Reliquary Bust of Saint Baudime, mid-1100s. French (Auvergne). Copper gilt over walnut core, ivory, and horn; 73 x 43 x 46 cm. Mairie de Saint-Nectaire, France MH 1897/0127. © Francis DEBAISIEUX, France
  •  Portable Altar of Countess Gertrude, c.1045. Ottonian (German, Lower Saxon, Hildesheim). Gold, cloisonné enamel, gems, red porphyry, and pearls on an oak wood core; 10.5 x 27.5 x 21 cm. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Gift of the John Huntington Art and Polytechnic Trust 1931.462
  • Reliquary Shrine of St. Amandus, 1250-1275. Gothic (Flemish, Western Belgium). Gilded copper, silver, champlevé enamel, and semi-precious stones; 48.4 x 63.9 x 30 cm. Walters Art Museum 53.9 © The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore
  • Head Reliquary of St. Eustace, c. 1200. Romanesque (Swiss, Upper Rheinish, Basel). Silver and silver gilt on a wooden core; 33.5 x 17 x 15.6 cm. British Museum MLA 50,11-27,1 © The Trustees of the British Museum
  • Reliquary with the Man of Sorrows, 1347–49. Bohemia. Silver gilt, enamel (champlevé), semiprecious stones; 31 x 21 x 11.5 cm. © The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore 57.700
  • Reliquary Pendant of Saint Demetrios with Saint George, 1100s/1200s. Byzantine (Thessalonike?). Gold, silver, silver gilt, enamel; diam. 3.8 cm. The British Museum, London PE 1926,0409.1. © The Trustees of the British Museum
  • Garland Sarcophagus (detail), AD 150–80. Roman (Asia Minor). Dokimeion marble; 83.5 x 143.4 x 69.9 cm. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore 23.29 © The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore
  • Triptych Reliquary of the True Cross, about 1160–70. Mosan (probably diocese of Liège). Copper gilt over wood, vernis brun, enamel (champlevé), rock crystal; 26.9 x 29.2 cm (opened). Private Collection, London. Image © Samuel Merrin, The Merrin Gallery, Inc.
  • Reliquary of the Arm of Saint George (Interior Casing) (detail), before 1204. Byzantine. Silver; 31 x 7.9 cm. Procuratoria della Basilica di San Marco, Venice Santuario 159
A

Treasures of Heaven: Saints, Relics, and Devotion in Medieval Europe

Sunday, October 17, 2010 to Monday, January 17, 2011
Kelvin and Eleanor Smith Foundation Exhibition Hall

Treasures of Heaven: Saints, Relics, and Devotion in Medieval Europe was organized by the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Walters Art Museum, and the British Museum. This exhibition is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and Humanities. Support for the exhibition has been provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. Education program support is provided in part by Giant Eagle and by Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Smith and Tom and Sandy Sullivan. The Cleveland Museum of Art is generously funded by Cuyahoga County residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture. The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this exhibition with state tax dollars to encourage economic growth, educational excellence, and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.