A

New CMA Acquisition "Saint John the Baptist" On View NOW!

On view NOW in gallery 110B, see the recent CMA acquisition of a sculpture depicting “Saint John the Baptist”, attributed to Jan Crocq. 

A native of the Burgundian Netherlands, Jan Crocq relocated to eastern France to enter the service of René II, Duke of Lorraine and Duke of Bar, from 1486 to 1510. His style is deeply rooted in the prominent works by sculptors Claus Sluter and Claus de Werve at the Chartreuse de Champmol, near Dijon, in the late 1300s. These works still held strong influence over regional artists a century later.  This sculpture of John the Baptist reputedly comes from the Sainte-Chapelle in Dijon, seat of the Order of the Golden Fleece, a chivalric order founded by Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy in 1430.  

Saint John the Baptist, a much-beloved and widely venerated saint during the Middle Ages, is shown here in a formal manner typical of Netherlandish art of the late 1300s and 1400s. He wears his traditional camel fleece coat, mentioned in the Gospels. The saint also wears a heavy outer mantle that drapes downwards over his right shoulder revealing its finely textured lining. The lamb, an attribute of the saint, rests on the closed book held in the Baptist’s left hand. It serves as a symbol of Christ in his sacrificial role as Redeemer.  John’s right hand, now missing, would have pointed to the lamb.

Blog Archive