Tempera and gold on wood panel (poplar), . Severance and Greta Millikin Trust 2016.32
This icon depicts an important subject in Orthodox Christian art, the three corresponding figures of the single godhead known as the Holy Trinity. The Trinity is represented here in a composition known as the â€śNew Testament Trinity,â€ť which features Christ and God the Father seated on a bench with a dove representing the Holy Spirit between them. The central field is occupied by a large wooden throne with gold highlights on which Christ (left) and the Ancient of the Days (God the Father as Christ in old age) are seated. The Holy Spirit, in the form of a dove, hovers within an eight-pointed star that signifies the eighth day, the future eon.On either side of the Trinity are two hymnographers, authors of hymns of praise, both identified by gold letters outlined in redâ€”Saint Kosmas (about 675â€“752) on the left and Saint Joseph (about 812/818â€“about 886) on the right. They both suspend scrolls from round-arched windows. The icon likely was part of a church templon, the barrier that separated the nave from the sanctuary in an Orthodox church. It is not signed or dated; however, careful analysis of the paintingâ€™s style and technique places it in Constantinople around 1450, just prior to the cityâ€™s fall to the Ottomans in 1453. It represents a moment when Byzantine painting reached a brilliant crescendo.
Danish Museum of Decorative Arts, 1913.Oslo, Museum of Decorative Arts, 1913.Berlin, Kustgewerbnuseum, 1914New York, Ehrich Galleries, 5th Avenue, 1915Gothenberg, Rohsska Konstslojdmuseet, 1915Lund University Art Museum, 1915
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.