Bartolomé Pérez (Spanish, 1634-1693)
oil on copper, Framed: 50 x 40 cm (19 5/8 x 15 11/16 in.); Unframed: 37 x 26 cm (14 9/16 x 10 3/16 in.). Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 2012.5
This painting loosely and inventively depicts an actual chapel in the former Jesuit Imperial College
in Madrid, which housed a Madonna and Child in gilded and painted wood, a focus of popular
devotion. Pérez made temporary decorations for the Spanish court, none of which survive, but the
fanciful architecture, curiously inverted obelisks, fruits and flowers, and pastel colors all stem from
this side of his work. By representing a polychrome sculpture in two dimensions, Pérez further blurred
boundaries between painting and sculpture. This intersection of the spiritual and the real worlds was
important in Spanish art of the 1600s.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.