Our Lady of Good Counsel

Our Lady of Good Counsel

c. 1680

Bartolomé Pérez

(Spanish, 1634-1693)

Oil on copper

Framed: 50 x 40 cm (19 11/16 x 15 3/4 in.); Unframed: 37 x 26 cm (14 9/16 x 10 1/4 in.)

Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 2012.5

Description

This painting loosely and inventively depicts an actual chapel in the former Jesuit Imperial College
in Madrid, which housed a Madonna and Child in gilded and painted wood, a focus of popular
devotion. Pérez made temporary decorations for the Spanish court, none of which survive, but the
fanciful architecture, curiously inverted obelisks, fruits and flowers, and pastel colors all stem from
this side of his work. By representing a polychrome sculpture in two dimensions, Pérez further blurred
boundaries between painting and sculpture. This intersection of the spiritual and the real worlds was
important in Spanish art of the 1600s.

See also

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance information, is based on historic information and may not be currently accurate or complete. Research on objects is an ongoing process, but the information about this object may not reflect the most current information available to CMA. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

Is something not working on this page? Please email help.website@clevelandart.org.

Request a digital file from Image Services that is not available through CC0, a detail image, or any image with a color bar.