France, Limoges, Gothic period, late 12th-early 13th century
copper: engraved, stippled, gilded; champlevé enamel, Average: 13.7 x 8.9 cm (5 3/8 x 3 1/2 in.). Gift of Kelvin Smith 1966.735
This almond-shaped enamel plaque depicts the half-length figure of an angel inscribed in a medallion. A nearly identical plaque in the cathedral treasury of St. Martin at Orense in Galicia (Northern Spain) suggests that this plaque once formed part of a large altar frontal commissioned by Bishop Alfonso of Orense (reigned 1174-1213). Fifty-three enameled plaques of this important ensemble are still preserved at the Cathedral of Orense. Others, including this one, were possiblu removed during the Napoleonic era.
CMA: "Year in Review", November 29-December 31, 1967: Bulletin, LIV (December 1967) p. 342, listed no. 42, repr. p. 305
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.