Saint John the Evangelist

Saint John the Evangelist

c. 1400

Polychromed walnut

Overall: 156.2 cm (61 1/2 in.)

John L. Severance Fund 1960.75

Description

This sculpture was originally part of a life-sized Crucifixion group and intended to be seen with two more statues, a crucified Christ and a standing Virgin. Multi-figured ensembles in wood belong to a vigorous tradition in central Italy extending from the 1200s to the 1400s. Most commonly, these groups represent the Deposition (Christ being lowered from the cross) or the Lamentation (Mary cradling the dead Christ on her lap). Crucifixion groups consisted of a central sculpture of Christ on the cross flanked on his right by the Virgin Mary and on his left by Saint John the Evangelist. Such groups were often displayed during Holy Week in Italy and Spain.

See also
Collection: 
MED - Gothic
Department: 
Medieval Art
Type of artwork: 
Sculpture

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance information, is based on historic information and may not be currently accurate or complete. Research on objects is an ongoing process, but the information about this object may not reflect the most current information available to CMA. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

Is something not working on this page? Please email help.website@clevelandart.org.

Request a digital file from Image Services that is not available through CC0, a detail image, or any image with a color bar.