Polychrome velvet: cut pile and voided; Embroidery: silk, gold and silver thread; split and couching stitches
Overall: 119.4 x 74.9 cm (47 x 29 1/2 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1950.85
The chasuble is the main sleeveless outer vestment
worn by priests while officiating during Mass. By
the 1400s, the chasuble became highly ornamented
with embroidered decorative bands called orphreys,
often in the shape of a cross, as seen here. This
luxurious Italian example features velvet of three
colors with lush pile. In Graz, Austria, it was
embellished with a locally embroidered orphrey
featuring crowns, haloes, and backgrounds of
scenes formed with gold thread. The Virgin and
Child, and Saints Catherine, Dorothy, Ursula, and
Barbara are featured.
The information about this object, including provenance information, is based on historic information and may not be currently accurate or complete. Research on objects is an ongoing process, but the information about this object may not reflect the most current information available to CMA. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
Is something not working on this page? Please email email@example.com.
Request a digital file from Image Services that is not available through CC0, a detail image, or any image with a color bar.