France or England, Gothic period, 14th century
ivory, mounted in a silver stand (after 1919), Without base: 10.8 x 6.5 cm (4 1/4 x 2 9/16 in.). Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1947.65
This plaque, once the right wing of a diptych (two-paneled carving), was slightly altered during its history by carving an arc into the sides, perhaps to force it into a frame. The silver base, added after 1919, is signed: "M. Bucellati, Milano, Roma, Firenze."
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.